I generally dislike (nearly) all pasta/potato/macaroni salads that you can imagine. So. Much. Mayo. This pasta salad, on the other hand, is a refreshing breath of fresh air. It is light but filling and is actually not terrible for you, as are most other pasta salads.
This recipe makes roughly four lunch portion servings. It is easily doubled if serving a crowd. It is so easy to throw together on a weeknight and gets better the longer it sits. I love to make it and have it for lunch for the week. If stored in an air tight container it will keep for about 5 days.
- one large chicken breast, diced in 1 inch cubes (cooked with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning)
- 4 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 4oz capers, drained of liquid (1/2 jar)
- 4 oz sun-dried tomato, diced and drained of liquid (1/2 jar)
- 3 small handfuls whole wheat penne pasta, cooked and cooled
- 1/2-2/3 cup good quality balsamic vinaigrette
Once pasta and chicken have cooked and cooled, add all ingredients except the dressing in a large bowl. Stir gently to combine.
Then add the dressing. I’m telling you this just gets better as it sits. Serve chilled after sitting in the refrigerator overnight. I absolutely love this recipe and keep making it over and over again.