When it comes to pasta salads, many are calorie laden and very heavy. Erase everything you know about traditional pasta salad and get ready for this chicken, balsamic, and sun dried tomato version. Celery helps add a little bit of crunch, capers add a salty and unexpected flavor, and the sun-dried tomato pulls it all together.
This recipe keeps well for about a week in the refrigerator, and is especially delicious on day 2-4. If storing in a large container instead of individualized ones, you can always add a little bit more balsamic to it right before eating.
- one large chicken breast, diced in 1 inch cubes (cooked with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning)
- 4 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 4oz capers, drained of liquid (1/2 jar)
- 4 oz sun-dried tomato, diced and drained of liquid (1/2 jar)
- 3 small handfuls whole wheat penne pasta, cooked and cooled
- 1/2-2/3 cup good quality balsamic vinaigrette
In order to make this recipe, you simply combine all ingredients after cooking the pasta and chicken. I love to enjoy this hot right after being made, but honestly enjoy it more when the flavors have combined for a day or two in the refrigerator. If needed, you can drizzle on a little more balsamic before eating after refrigeration.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!